EPIC WOMEN’S RALLY
INTRO – EPIC WOMEN’S RALLY
New for 2024, the Epic Women’s Rally is a semi-supported, women’s only, rally through the Welsh mountains on the route of our Blaenau 480 event.
Starting and finishing at Epic Cycles, with an optional 4-day schedule to get back for the finisher’s pizza party, the rally will run alongside our existing ultra races to provide an adventure for those looking for a little more support and a safety net along the trail.
Entry to the Epic Women’s Rally is now open HERE.
What makes the rally different?
– Semi-supported format – normal ultra ‘rules’ regarding self-sufficiency will not apply.
– Optional 4-day schedule with suggested (minimalist and low cost, but commercially operated) campsites at the end of each ‘stage’ for those not wanting to wild camp.
– Bag drop/collection each evening at the suggested campsite (collection points are on the route, so are accessible for those not sleeping at the campsite).
– Recovery van on call (to get you back to the event HQ – for non-emergency withdrawals from the rally).
– WhatsApp group for Rally riders, that will also include experienced ultra riders/racers for those who would like any pre-event advice, and for catting with each other about and during the ride.
– Riders are free to ride exactly how they please. Solo, in pairs, in a group, mix and match at different points during the ride – it’s up to you. You can simply join up for stretches of trail out on the route or at the campsites, or enter in advance as a group. No need to let us know how you plan to ride it – you can make it up as you go along!
The route is approximately 500Km. It follows the Blaenau 480 route, with just a couple of small ‘diversions’ in order to go directly to/past our three suggested campsites.
There’s a lot! The total climbing is around 9-10,000m.
The route covers a wide range of Welsh uplands, with connecting lowland valleys. It’s remote in places and it’s hilly throughout, and we’ve worked hard to avoid busy roads. You’ll cross several mountain ranges and experience a wide range of surfaces, from tarmac to rough rocky stretches, with everything in between.
The route is suitable for either a gravel bike with decent sized tyres (40mm+) or a Cross Country MTB. They both have their pros and cons – gravel bikes are quicker and more agile on the smoother stuff, while MTBs are much more capable and comfortable on the rougher terrain. There’s more of the gravel bike friendly terrain, but the rougher stretches make quite an impression when you’re tired. Tough tyres are a must. Blaenau 600 finishers in 2022 and 2023 were split roughly 60/40 in favour of gravel bikes.
The Rally starts and finishes at Epic Cycles in Ludlow, Shropshire. This is also where you will sign on, collect your tracker, and enjoy the post event pizza party.
The entry fee is £99, and includes:
We’re keeping it small, with just 30 ‘open’ places, to ensure that there’s a really friendly, supportive and sociable feel.
We will be maintaining a reserve list though, so please contact us if you miss out and we’ll add you to the reserves.
The Epic Women’s Rally is a not for profit event. Any surplus revenue will be donated to West Mercia Search and Rescue.
All riders will carry a tracking device provided by the event, and their progress will be published live by Follow My Challenge.
GPX ROUTE FILES
The final route, with any last minute changes due to local circumstances, will be sent to all riders around 10 days before the event, along with the event manual. The ‘official’ 480Km routes for 2022 and 2023 are on our Routes page (the Rally route will differ slightly, but over 95% will be the same).